Professor Yoshihiko Suzawa
|Area and Subject Taught||Insurance Theory|
|Research Theme(s)||Risk Management and Finance in Organizational Management|
|Academic Degrees||Doctor of Commercial Science, Hitotsubashi University;
Master of Business Administration (Hons.), St. John's University;
Master of Science, St. John's University
|Keywords for Research Field||Insurance, Finance, Risk Management|
|Office Phone Number||Not Public|
Risk management in organizational management involves much more than simply preparing for expected losses. It is a process of reducing an entire range of risks with the aim of maximizing the value of an organization. As the development of general risk management in recent years tells us, there is a need to develop strategies to respond to a wide range of needs, including consideration of leverage and growth opportunities. Based on this realization, it is required to develop the theoretical and systematic foundations for a new approach to risk management in organizational management. For this purpose, my research is focusing on the field of loss finance. This field brings up many important issues in risk management, including the status of insurance and hedges combining pure risk and price risk as well as approaches to diversifying operations and investment activities. This is a field of research that has grown swiftly in the international community in recent years, and is expected to attract attention in Japan as well. My research adopts a number of approaches to various issues, looking into management, economics, finance and statistical mathematics.
Notable Publications and Works
- "Insurance Business Synergies, Economic Growth and Strategic Planning," International Journal of Business Environment, Vol.8, No.3, coauthored with Inoguchi, M. Y. Ma, N Pope, 2016.
- "Principles for Sustainable Insurance: Risk Management and Value," Risk Management and Insurance Review, Vol.17, No.2, coauthored with Scordis, N. A., A. Zwick and L. Ruckner, 2014.
- "The Impact of Insurance on a Sustainable Society Exposed to Natural Disaster Risks," Kyoto Management Review, No.25, coauthored with N. A. Scordis, 2014.
- "Study of Division of Roles between Compulsory and Voluntary Insurance: The Case of Japanese Automobile Liability Insurance Scheme," Kyoto Management Review, No.20, coauthored with Takau Yoneyama, 2012.
- "Insurance Industry Activity and Economic Development in the Asia-Pacific Region," AU Journal of Risk Management and Insurance, No. 16, coauthored with Masahiro Inoguchi, 2012.
- "Efficiency Performance of Japanese Non-Life Insurers and Their Portfolio of Insurance Policies," Hitotsubashi Journal of Commerce and Management, No.45, coauthored with H. Miyashita, T. Yoneyama and Y. Tseng, 2011.
- "Shareholder Value: The Case of Japanese Captive Insurers," Asia-Pacific Journal of Risk and Insurance, Vol.5, No.1, coauthored with Y. Maeda and N. A. Scordis, 2011.
- "Roles of Private Insurance in the Medical Insurance Market ‒ An Analytic Model on the Division of Labor between Social and Private Insurance ‒," JILI Journal, No.174,2011 (written in Japanese).
- "Transition of Rate Regulation of Non-Life Insurance: A Discussion Focusing on Information Problem of Insurance Market," Journal of Insurance Science, No.611, 2010 (written in Japanese).
- "Efficiency Prformance of Japanese Non-Life Insurers and Their Underwriting and Distribution Strategies" Kyoto Management Review, No.16, coauthored with Takau Yoneyama, 2009.
- "Trigger Design of Catastrophe Bonds and Non-Life Insurers' Business Portfolios," Kyoto Management Review, No. 14, 2008 (written in Japanese).
- "Economic Analysis on New Automobile Insurance Applying Satellite Communications Technology," Journal of Insurance Science, No.602, 2008 (written in Japanese).
- "Profit Performance of Non-Life Insurers and Their Policy Portfolio," Kyoto Management Review, No.12, coauthored with Hiroshi Miyashita, 2007 (written in Japanese).