Professor Minoru Takeuchi
|Area and Subject Taught||Immune Cell Biology|
|Research Theme(s)||Experimental Medical Research on Immune Mechanisms of Smoking and Tumor|
|Academic Degrees||Doctor of Medicine, Kyoto University/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Ph.D., Yamaguchi University|
|Keywords for Research Field||Immunity, Cancer, Smoking, Alveolar Macrophages, DNA Damage, natural product, honey|
|Office Phone Number||81-75-705-1926|
|Web Site (URL)||http://www.cc.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~mtakex/|
DNA damage of alveolar macrophage by smoking
We are focusing on cigarette smoke, which is currently attracting attentions as an environmental problem, hence are investigating to elucidate the effect of smoking on the relationship between smoke and pulmonary immune cells, particularly alveolar macrophages, and pulmonary epithelial cells. Smoking has been shown to increase production of active oxygen by alveolar macrophages, which induce DNA damage in these cells, and it has also been demonstrated that their immune functions such as antigen presentation and cytokine production are impaired. It has been suggested that these inhibitions in immune functions are related to the incidence of smoking-related pulmonary epithelial cancer and tumor cell proliferation, and we are investigating this relationship and“ making a science for smoking. ”Since the fact that immune functions are suppressed by smoking and tumor growth, we are also investigating the mechanisms whereby immuno-enhancing substances may act to restore suppressed immune functions.
Notable Publications and Works in the Last Three Years
- M. Takeuchi. Cigarette smoking and inhalation of Cryptomeria Japonica pollen (CJp) allergen. The allergy in Practice, 37: 64-67, 2017.
- Yi-Hsin Shen, Alexa K. P. Pham, Minoru Takeuchi, Kent E. Pinkerton. Sex and strain-based inflammatory response to repeated tobacco smoke exposure in Spontaneously Hypertensive and Wistar Kyoto rats. Inhalation Toxicology, 28: 677-685, 2016.
- M. Nose, M. Takeuchi. Effect of Cryptomeria Japonica pollen (CJp) and smoking on alveolar macrophages and neutrophils. The allergy in Practice, 36: 41-45, 2016.
- Xueting Lia, Min Xue, Otto G. Raabe, Holly L. Aaron, Ellen A. Eisen, James E. Evans, Fred A. Hayes, Sumire Inaga, Abderrahmane Tagmout, Minoru Takeuchi, Chris Vulpe, Jeffrey I. Zink, Subhash H. Risbud. Kent E. Pinkerton. Aerosol droplet delivery of mesoporous silica nanoparticles: A strategy for respiratory-based therapeutics. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, 11: 1377-1385, 2015.
- M. Nose, M. Takeuchi. Effect of cigarette smoking on alveolar macrophage by inhalation of allergen and allergy. The allergy in Practice, 35: 49-53, 2015.
- Masaaki Sakura, Yoichi Chiba, Emi Kamiya, Ayako Furukawa, Noriko Kawamura, Masanao Niwa, Minoru Takeuchi, Yasushi Enokido, Masanori Hosokawa. Differences in the Histopathology and Cytokine Expression Pattern between Chronological Aging and Photoaging of Hairless Mice Skin. Modern Research in Inflammation, 3: 82-89, 2014.
- Kawazoe A, Takeuchi M. Pathogenesis of Lipopolysaccharide induced lung inflammation and effect of cigarette smoke. ACTA HUMANISTICA ET SCIENTIFICA UNIVERSITATIS SANGIO KYOTIENSIS, 43: 39-73, 2014.