Associate Professor Yoshii Nishino
|Area and Subject Taught||Virology|
|Research Theme(s)||Molecular mechanism of viral neurological and neurobehavioral disease|
|Academic Degrees||Ph.D. (Science), Hokkaido University|
|Keywords for Research Field||Virus, Pathogenicity, Neural Disease, Zoonosis、Borna Disease Virus, TGF- β, Stress|
|Office Phone Number||81-75-705-3138|
We live surrounded by a huge number of microbes.
Viruse is one of microbes that cause illness in animals and plants.
In our laboratory, we have an interest in veterinary and zoonotic viral diseases (especially neurovirology). We focus on Borna disease virus that is etiological agent of Borna disease.
Borna disease has been known from over a 100 years as a fatal neurological disease of horses and sheep.
Borna disease has recently been recognized as an emerging disease that occurs in a wide range of warm-blooded animals such as cats, dogs, birds, and even humans.
The mechanism by which an illnesses occurs has, however, still not yet been sufficiently understood.
The research that our laboratory has conducted in recent years on motor impairment and behavioral abnormalities in animals infected with Borna disease virus consists of the following:
- Comparison of pathogenesis in rats and mice infected with Borna disease virus
- Contribution of viral pathogenesis and expression of TGF- β family in the infected animal
- Molecular mechanism of environmental factors (stress) to viral infection
Notable Publications and Works in the Last Three Years
- Nishino Y, Murakami M and Funaba M. Expression and role of the TGF-β family in glial cells infected with Borna disease virus. Microbes Infect. 18:128-136. 2016
- Murakami M., Ohi M., Ishikawa S., Shirai M., Horiguchi H., Nishino Y. and Funaba M. Adaptive expression of uncoupling protein 1 in the carp liver and kidney in response to changes in ambient temperature. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. Inteqr. Physiol. 185：142-149, 2015.
- Someya, A., Fukushima, R, Yoshida, M., Tanahashi,Y., Prapeuk, T., Iizuka, R., Hirami, H., Matsuda, A., Takahashi, S., Kurita, G., Kimura, T., Seo, M., Funaba, M. and Nishino, Y. A study on Borna disease virus infection in domestic cats in Japan. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 76:1157-1160, 2014.
- Fernández, VI., Okamoto N., Ito A., Fukuda M., Someya A., Nishino Y., Sasaki N., and Maeda A. Development of a novel protocol for generating flavivirus reporter particles. J. Virol. Methods. 208: 96-101, 2014.
- 西野佳以、齋藤敏行. ストレス性脳機能障害におけるウイルス持続感染の影響. 京都産業大学先端科学技術研究所所報、第13号、pp.69-80. 2014