Professor Toru Terachi
|Area and Subject Taught||Plant Molecular Genetics, Plant Breeding|
|Research Theme(s)||Molecular Genetics of Higher Plant Organelles|
|Academic Degrees||Doctor of Agriculture, Kyoto University|
|Keywords for Research Field||Higher Plants, Organellar Genome, Wheat, Radish|
|Office Phone Number||81-75-705-1896|
I am interested in a variety of topics related to organellar (chloroplast and mitochondrial) genes and genomes in higher plants, with a particular focus on chloroplast transformation technology.
Chloroplast genomes have not only provided valuable information on the phylogenies of plants, but in recent years genomes have also become the target of genetic engineering. In my laboratory, several projects have been carried out in the attempt to create transplastomic tobacco plants with useful genes in their chloroplast genome.
We are also using molecular genetic and molecular biological methods to carry out research on mitochondrial genes that cause male sterility in plants such as radishes and common wheat, as well as research on nuclear genes that suppress action of mitochondrial genes and restore fertility.
Notable Publications and Works in the Last Three Years
- Yoshimi, M., Kitamura, Y., Isshiki, S., Saito, T., Yasumoto, K., Terachi, T. and Yamagishi, H.: Variations in the structure and transcription of the mitochondrial genes in wild Solanum species that induce male sterility in eggplant (S. melongena). Theor Appl Genet 126(7): 1851-1859, (2013).
- Tsujimura, M., Mori, N., Yamagishi, H. and Terachi, T.: A possible breakage of linkage disequilibrium between mitochondrial and chloroplast genomes during Emmer and Dinkel wheat evolution. Genome 56(4): 187-193, (2013).
- Tanaka, Y., Tsuda, M., Yasumoto, K., Yamagishi, H. and Terachi, T.: A complete mitochondrial genome sequence of Ogura-type male-sterile cytoplasm and its comparative analysis with that of normal cytoplasm in radish (Raphanus sativus L.). BMC Genomics 13: 352, (2012).
- Katayama, S., Sugiyama, Y., Hatano, N., Terachi, T., Sueyoshi, N and Kameshita, I.: PKL01, an Ndr kinase homologue in plant, shows tyrosine kinase activity. J Biochem 152: 347-353, (2012).
- Honma, Y. Yoshida, Y., Terachi, T., Toriyama, K., Mikami, T. and Kubo, T.: Polymorphic minisatellites in the mitochondrial DNAs of Oryza and Brassica. Curr Genet. 57(4): 261-270, (2011).