Professor Minoru Takeuchi
|Area and Subject Taught||Immune Cell Biology|
|Research Theme(s)||Experimental Medical Research on Immune Mechanisms of Smoking and Tumor|
|Academic Degrees||Doctor of Medicine, Kyoto University/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Ph.D., Yamaguchi University|
|Keywords for Research Field||Immunity, Cancer, Smoking, Alveolar Macrophages, DNA Damage, natural product|
|Office Phone Number||81-75-705-1926|
|Web Site (URL)||http://www.cc.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~mtakex/|
DNA damage of alveolar macrophage by smoking
We are focusing on cigarette smoke, which is currently attracting attentions as an environmental problem, hence are investigating to elucidate the effect of smoking on the relationship between smoke and pulmonary immune cells, particularly alveolar macrophages, and pulmonary epithelial cells. Smoking has been shown to increase production of active oxygen by alveolar macrophages, which induce DNA damage in these cells, and it has also been demonstrated that their immune functions such as antigen presentation and cytokine production are impaired. It has been suggested that these inhibitions in immune functions are related to the incidence of smoking-related pulmonary epithelial cancer and tumor cell proliferation, and we are investigating this relationship and“ making a science for smoking. ”Since the fact that immune functions are suppressed by smoking and tumor growth, we are also investigating the mechanisms whereby immuno-enhancing substances may act to restore suppressed immune functions.
Notable Publications and Works in the Last Three Years
- Kawazoe A, Takeuchi M. Pathogenesis of Lipopolysaccharide induced lung inflammation and effect of cigarette smoke. ACTA HUMANISTICA ET SCIENTIFICA UNIVERSITATIS SANGIO KYOTIENSIS. 2014;43:39-73
- Yuriko Hirono, Yasuyuki Tanahashi, Kazuma Sasaki, Kenjiro Konno, Yuki Shirai, Kengo Kobayashi, Azusa Someya, Sumire Inaga, Masaaki Sakura, Kent E. Pinkerton and Minoru Takeuchi. Alveolar macrophages functions and DNA damage in cigarette smoke-exposed mice. Journal of Advances in Bioscience and Biotechnology, 2013;4: 1-7.
- Shigeyoshi E, Takeuchi M. Effect of jungle honey on function of antibody production and its mechanism. ACTA HUMANISTICA ET SCIENTIFICA UNIVERSITATIS SANGIO KYOTIENSIS. 2013;42:21-52
- Hirono Y, Kawazoe A, Nose M, Sakura M, Takeuchi M. Cigarette smoke induce alteration of structure and function in alveolar macrophages. IJBBB. 2013;3(2):125-8
- Sakura M, Chiba Y, Kamiya E, Furukawa A, Kawamura N, Niwa M, Takeuchi M, Hosokawa M. Spontaneous occurrence of photoageing-like phenotypes in the dorsal skin of old SAMP1 mice, an oxidative stress model. Exp Dermatol. 2013;22(1):62-4.
- Miyagawa M, Hirono Y, Kawazoe A, Shigeyoshi E, Nose M, Sakura M, Pinkerton KE, Takeuchi M. Effect of Hot Water Extract from Agaricus Blazei Murill on Chemotaxis of Neutrophils. JCDSA. 2013;3(1A):12-7
- Miyahara E, Nishie M, Takumi S, Miyanohara H, Nishi J, Yoshiie K, Oda H, Takeuchi M, Komatsu M, Aoyama K, Horiuchi M, Takeuchi T. Environmental mutagens may be implicated in the emergence of drug-resistant microorganisms. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2011;317(2):109-16.
- Yoshimoto K, Kishida T, Nakano H, Matsui M, Shin-Ya M, Shimada T, Nakai S, Imanishi J, Takeuchi M, Hisa Y, Mazda O. Interleukin-28B acts synergistically with cisplatin to suppress the growth of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. J Immunother. 2011;34(2):139-48.
- Fukuda M, Kobayashi K, Hirono Y, Miyagawa M, Ishida T, Ejiogu EC, Sawai M, Pinkerton KE, Takeuchi M. Jungle honey enhances immune function and antitumor activity. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2011;2011:1-8.
- Ishida T, Takeuchi M. ACTA HUMANISTICA ET SCIENTIFICA UNIVERSITATIS SANGIO KYOTIENSIS. 2011;40:71-108