Associate Professor Hiroshi Kitamura
|Area and Subject Taught||Applied Microeconomics|
|Research Theme(s)||Market Diffusion and Exclusive dealing|
|Academic Degrees||Ph.D. in Economics, Osaka University|
|Keywords for Research Field||Market Diffusion, Exclusive Dealing|
|Office Phone Number||Not Public|
Exclusive dealing has long been a controversial issue. Once an exclusive contract is signed, it directly deters efficient entrants and reduces welfare. Therefore, exclusive contracts seem to have anticompetitive effects. However, the Chicago School argues that rational economic agents do not engage in exclusive dealings under standard setting. The Chicago School argument remains highly influential.
By using game theoretic model, I explore the market environment where rational economic agents may engage in exclusive dealing. Kitamura (2010) points out that anticompetitive exclusive dealing is more likely to be observed in less alternative factor inputs and technology progress. Kitamura (2011) points out that the existence of financial constraints enhances anticompetitive exclusive dealing.
Notable Publications and Works
- “Exclusive Contracts with Complementary Inputs,” International Journal of Industrial Organization, vol.56, pp 145-167, January 2018 (with N. Matsushima and M. Sato)
- “Exclusive Contracts and Bargaining Power,” Economics Letters, vol.151, pp 1-3, February 2017 (with N. Matsushima and M. Sato)
- “Relationship-specific Investment as a Barrier to Entry,” Journal of Economics, vol.119(1), pp 17-45, September 2016 (with A. Miyaoka and M. Sato)
- “Market-Share Contracts with Vertical Externalities,” Asian Journal of Law and Economics vol.5(1-2), pp 1-15, December 2014 (with Yuki Amemiya and Jun Oshiro)
- “Exclusive Contracts when the Incumbent can Establish a Direct Retailer,” Journal of Economics, vol.112(1), pp 47-60, May 2014 (with M. Sato and K. Arai)
- “Free Entry, Market Diffusion, and Social Inefficiency with Endogenously Growing Demand,” Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, vol. 29, pp 98-116, September 2013 (with A. Miyaoka and M. Sato)
- “Market Diffusion with a Consumer-Based Bilateral Learning,” Studies in Applied Economics, vol. 5, pp 1-20, December 2011. (with A. Miyaoka)
- “Exclusive Contracts under Financial Constraints,” B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy vol. 11(1) Topics Article 57, pp 1-29, September 2011
- “Capacity Expansion in Markets with Inter-temporal Consumption Externalities,” Australian Economic Papers, vol. 49(2), pp 127-148, June 2010
- “Exclusionary Vertical Contracts with Multiple Entrants,” International Journal of Industrial Organization, vol. 28(3), pp 213-219, May 2010
For more information, Please see the following web page.