Professor Atsuko Fujino
|Area and Subject Taught||Labor Economics|
|Research Theme(s)||Empirical Research for socioeconomic factors of population problems|
|Academic Degrees||Doctor of Economics|
|Keywords for Research Field||Child labor, gender, Birthrate decline, family policy|
|Office Phone Number||Not Public|
I have chosen the empirical search for socioeconomic factors of serious population problems as the focus of my research. In "Child Labor in Developing Countries- Is High
Fertility a Cause or a Result of Child Labor?" (Japanese title: Hatten Tojoukoku no Jidouroudou- Kodakusan wa Kekka nanoka Genin nanoka), published in 1997, which
examined child labor in India, I demonstrated the relationships between child labor, health, education and fertility based on a theoretical model and also made a positive analysis
based on Indian government statistics.
Recently, I have also been conducting experimental studies on the causes of the recent low birth rates in Japan. For this research, with the cooperation of local public authorities and labor unions, I have carried out three (2003,2007,and 2008) large-scale personal surveys and have performed quantitative analysis on the results. I have also engaged in frequent analyses of interview-based surveys.
Notable Publications and Works
- Atsuko FUJINO, 'Fushigi France Miwaku no nazo (Mysterious France : The secrets of charm)', Shunpusha, 2014.
- Atsuko FUJINO, ’ Les problèmes de conciliation travail-famille dans le couple japonais : les résultats de l'enquête 2013 sur la carrière des mères trentenaires’, Le colloque franco-japonais, Université de Kyoto Sangyo, 2013 (in french and japanese).
- Atuko FUJINO, 'The expansion of atypical employment and family formation: A comparison of Japan and France', The 64th Annual Meeting of population association of Japon ,University of Tokyo, 2012 (in English).
- Atsuko FUJINO, 'Atypical Employment and Child-bearing Intentions: A comparison of Japan and France', Joint Seminar on Employment and Social Affairs in the context of Regional Economic Integration in Japan and Europe, University of Lille 1, France, 2012 (in English).
- Atsuko FUJINO, L'impact de la diversification des formes d'emploi sur la construction familiale: la situation actuelle du Japon, Séminaire du CERPOS, Université de Paris X, 2010 (in French).
- Atsuko FUJINO, "The History of Child Labor in Japan" Part8 East and Pacific, section1 East Asia, Hugh. D. Hindman, ed, The World of Child Labor: An History and Regional Survey, M.E. Sharpe New York 2009 (in English).
- Atsuko FUJINO, "Child Labor and Gender Bias in Japan: The Historical Perspectives," Journal of Gender Studies Japan, Vol.10, pp.27-40, 2007 (in Japanese).
- Atsuko FUJINO, "The Effect of a Husband's Household Participation on the Couple's Desire for Additional Children: The Empirical Evidence from Micro Data," Journal of Population Studies, No.38, pp.21-41 , 2006 (in Japanese).
- Atsuko FUJINO, "Low Fertility Issues in Japan: Based on the Analysis of Individual Data, "Family Studies (At the Hyogo Institute for Study of Family Issues), No.4. pp.15-27, 2005 (in Japanese).
- Atsuko FUJINO, "Fertility Behavior and Labor Supply of Married Women in Japan: The Impact of a Husband's Participation in Household Work and a Wife's Family Values," Journal of Population Studies, No.31, pp.19-35, 2002 (in Japanese).
- Atsuko FUJINO, ‘Child Labor in Developing Countries: Is High Fertility a Cause or a Result of Child Labor?’ Akashi Shoten, Tokyo, 1997 (in Japanese).