Applications & Important Dates
- Application for admission (PDF)
(Application for admission & Statement of Purpose)
- Exchange student language proficiency questionnaire (PDF)
- Japanese Computerized Adaptive Test (J-CAT) results.
A minimum score of 70 on J-CAT is required for applications to be accepted. (Test results may be submitted by e-mail in PDF format.)
- Cover letter from the student's home university stating that the student has been selected and nominated as an exchange student
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from faculty or staff of the student's home university
- Transcript from current university in Japanese or English
Transcripts or an accompanying document should show the student's GPA.
Transcripts in other languages must be accompanied by a Japanese or English translation.
- Four (4) passport-size photographs (size: 40mm x 30mm)
1. Photos must be 40mm x 30mm.
2. The background must be white. (Blue, red, cream, etc. not accepted)
3. You must be facing straight forward and directly at the camera.
4. The center of your face should be 1.5cm from the left of the photo, + - 2mm.
5. Your head must be 2.5cm wide, + - 3mm.
6. There must be 3 to 5 mm space between the top of your head and the top of the photo edge.
7. Long hair should be tied back behind the head so that the face and neck is visible.
8. The photo must have been taken within the last 3 months.
Please see here for an example.
- Passport photocopy (pages showing your identity)
- Application for certificate of eligibility(PDF)
(only submit parts 1 to 3 for the applicant)
Example Certificate of Eligibility Application form(PDF)
(Refer to the example COE application provided. Incorrectly completed COE applications will not be accepted.)
- Designated certificate of health (PDF)
To be completed within 6 months prior to the applicant's planned arrival in Japan.
- JASSO scholarship application forms (only for students coming for just two semesters)
For Spring admission (October applications)
For Fall admission (April applications)
- Bank statement or other evidence to show that the student has, or has access to, sufficient funds for their proposed period of exchange. (It is advised that students prepare an average of 80,000 yen per month.)
- Accommodation application form (PDF)
Note:Only applications which include all of the above forms correctly completed will be accepted.
Autumn semester admissions: April 1 to 30
Spring semester admission: October 1 to 31
Applications will not be accepted outside of these periods.
Center for International Programs
Kyoto Sangyo University
Kita-ku, Kyoto 603-8555
Tel : +81-75-705-1455 Fax : +81-75-705-1456
Applications for admission and applications for certificates of eligibility for all exchange students are processed together during November to January for spring admissions and during May to July for autumn admissions. The following documents will then be sent to the applicant's home university during February or August.
- -Letter of Acceptance
- -Certificate Of Eligibility
Certificates of eligibility will be forwarded as soon as they are received from Japanese immigration.
All other documents and information will be sent by e-mail directly to students.
After applicants have received a certificate of eligibility, they should proceed with applying for a visa at a local Japanese Embassy or Consulate. It is the student's responsibility to apply for the required entry visa in their country. Passports and a certificate of eligibility for Status of Residence must be taken when applying for visas.
2014 Spring semester
Arrival and dormitory check-in dates: March 27 to 28
- Orientation and course registration for exchange students: March 31 to April 2
- Class dates: April 7 to July 23
- Examinations: July 24 to August 6
2014 Autumn semester
Arrival and dormitory check-in dates: September 11 to 12
- Orientation and course registration for exchange students: September 16 to 17
- Class dates: September 22 to January 20, 2015
- Examinations: January 21 to February 6, 2015
- Hours for checking in: between 9:00 am and 7:30 pm.
- Checking out is only permitted during office hours on weekdays—between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm. Checking out on weekends or public/school holidays is not permitted.
❋Please confirm with the Center for International Programs your dates for returning home before booking flights to ensure that you will not check out during a public or school holiday.
❋Travel time from the dormitory to Kansai airport is about 3 hours, so please consider this when you book your return flights. Flights departing Japan before 2:00 pm should be avoided, or you will be required to vacate the dormitory the day before your flight.
Exchange students are issued one transcript free of charge at the completion of each semester. Transcripts are issued in the middle of March for the previous Autumn semester and the middle of September for the previous Spring semester, and delivered by express registered mail to the student’s home university.