Applications & Important Dates
- Exchange students are nominated by their home university.
Nominations should be submitted by March 31 for September admissions and September 30 for April admissions.
- Students who have been nominated should submit all required application documents to KSU. Application periods: April for fall admissions and October for spring admissions.
Applications for admission and applications for certificates of eligibility for all exchange students are processed together during November to January for spring admissions and during May to July for autumn admissions. The following documents will then be sent to the applicant's home university during February or August.
- -Letter of Acceptance
- -Certificate Of Eligibility
All other documents and information will be sent by e-mail directly to students.
Please only send applications during these periods.
Note: Applications from students who have not been previously nominated by their home university will not be accepted.
Autumn semester admissions: April 1 to 30
Spring semester admission: October 1 to 31
Applications will not be accepted outside of these periods.
Application for Admission
For University Staff
- Nomination Form (Excel)
(To be submitted by the applying student’s home University)
- Application for admission (Excel)
- Exchange student language proficiency questionnaire (PDF)
- Japanese Computerized Adaptive Test (J-CAT) results (PDF)
(Minimum score of 70 required)
- Transcript from current university in Japanese or English (PDF)
Transcripts or an accompanying document should show the student's GPA.
Transcripts in other languages must be accompanied by a Japanese or English translation.
- Passport size photograph (size: 400mm x 300mm) in JPEG or JPG format
(1) Photos must be 40mm x 30mm.
(2) The background must be WHITE. (Blue, red, cream, etc. not accepted)
(3) You must be facing straight forward and directly at the camera.
(4) The center of your face should be 1.5cm from the left of the photo, + - 2mm.
(5) Your head must be 2.5cm wide, + - 3mm.
(6) There must be 3 to 5 mm space between the top of your head and the top of the photo edge.
(7) Long hair should be tied back behind the head so that the face and neck is visible.
(8) The photo must have been taken within 3 months of your application.
Please see here for an example.
- Passport photocopy (pages showing photo and passport details) (PDF)
- Application form for Certificate of Eligibility for Student Status (Excel)
- Designated Certificate of Health (PDF) (complete within 6 months of arrival in Japan. )
- Bank Statement demonstrating the applicant has sufficient funds for their proposed time in Japan. (PDF)
(It is advised that students prepare an average of 80,000yen per month)
Note: Only applications which include ALL of the above documents correctly completed will be accepted.
Email Applications to:
Tel:+81-75-705-1455 Fax : +81-75-705-1456
Center for International Programs
Kyoto Sangyo University
Kita-ku, Kyoto 603-8555
After applicants have received a certificate of eligibility, they should proceed with applying for a visa at a local Japanese Embassy or Consulate. It is the student's responsibility to apply for the required entry visa in their country. Passports and a certificate of eligibility for Status of Residence must be taken when applying for visas.
2018 Spring semester
Arrival and dormitory move-in date: March 30
- Orientation and course registration for exchange students: April 2 to 5
- Class dates: April 6 to July 24 (TBC)
- Examinations: July 25 to August 7 (TBC)
2018 Autumn semester (dates to be confirmed)
Arrival and dormitory move-in date: September12
- Orientation and course registration for exchange students: September 13, 14, 18 to 20
- Class dates: September 21 to January 22, 2019
- Examinations: January 23 to February 10, 2019
*Students who arrive after the nominated dormitory move-in dates are at risk of having their admission to KSU accommodation cancelled. Please be sure to arrive on the specified day.
- Hours for checking in: between 9:00 am and 7:30 pm.
- Checking out is only permitted during office hours on weekdays—between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm. Checking out on weekends or public/school holidays is not permitted.
❋Please confirm with the Center for International Programs your dates for returning home before booking flights to ensure that you will not check out during a public or school holiday.
❋Travel time from the dormitory to Kansai airport is about 3 hours, so please consider this when you book your return flights. Flights departing Japan before 2:00 pm should be avoided, or you will be required to vacate the dormitory the day before your flight.
Exchange students are issued one transcript free of charge at the completion of each semester. Transcripts are issued in the middle of March for the previous Autumn semester and the middle of September for the previous Spring semester, and delivered by express registered mail to the student’s home university.